Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My 25 things dilema

If you are on Facebook, you probably got bombarded with the "25 Random Things Note," in which your friends wrote down 25 random things you might not know about them, tagged you, and expected you to do the same.  I've been avoiding my response for a few reasons.  One, I always wonder where the stuff I put about myself (blog included) goes in cyber space.  Who reads it, who cares?  Tagging people with a list of 25 things that I think are important just seems strange, like I'm forcing them to recognize that these are the things I think are interesting about myself, whether or not they actually are.  I wonder if they are what my friends find interesting about me and I wonder if it just fosters some sort of idea in my mind that I'm far more interesting and important than I actually am.
I'm also avoiding it because I'm having the worst time coming up with 25 things.  For the past few years I've taken the approach that my life is an open book and that if there is something I really don't want to talk about or have people know about me, I just don't talk about it.  Therefore, most people who know me know a lot about me.  In discussing this with a friend the other night, she promptly informed me I'm not that mysterious.  This kind of shocked me (who doesn't like a little mystery) and made me realize that people may be under the impression that just because I say a lot of things, I'm saying everything.  And I'm not.  And I have no idea how to convey to people that the verbal dribble that comes from my mouth is possibly the tip of an iceberg, though I have no idea how much of the iceberg is hiding under water.  Who knows what this says about me, but it might say something.  Maybe.  Probably not.
The problem may also be that everyone knows the random information about people, but not the core stuff that informs us, our decisions, and our actions.  I don't know how to expand on that thought, but it is something I worry about from time to time.
In the mean time, I have 13 random things you might not know about me.  If I come up with 12 more, you might see it posted on Facebook.  Maybe.

No comments: