Wednesday, March 28, 2001

What is it with the french and their scarves? Are they not aware that it is warm out? Spring's here baby, let loose a little! In Aix, it is a good 60 degrees everyday right now and the vast majority of the French are still walking around with their winter coats on, all bundled up as thought the ice age is coming back in full force later this week. Perhaps it is because I grew up in the midwest and the spring is always a time to air out the t-shirts and find all of the tank tops that have been hiding under sweaters that I don't understand the French need to dress like a mediteranian eskimo in March. It's not so much the coats that I wonder about, that is fine, but why scarves. Everyone ownes a scarf and they wear them no matter if it is warm or cold out, in style or not. They wear them in class, at the bar, but luckilly never when dancing. It really is a national obsession. I tried wearing my scarf 24/7 for a day or so and found it to be one of the most irritable things I've done all year. Are the French somehow bred with no glands in the neck region and that is how they don't sweat all day while wearing their scarfs? Actually, I shouldn't put this all on the French, I see many general Europeans doing this as well. Is it a continental thing? Either way I don't understand the obsession. It's warm out! The sun is shining! Everyone back in the midwest would be drooling at this weather! And yet they continue wearing the scarf. I'm dumbfounded.
Conclusion du jour: feeling like an outsider in France? Get a scarf.

No comments: