Sunday, February 04, 2001

Continuing on with the theme of movies in France, why do the French stay through the entire movie AND the credits? I saw three movies this week, all of them VERY good, and at each one, when american would normally start putting on their coats while discussing what to do after 2 hours in the darkness, the French sit comfortably in their chairs and watch as the credits roll by on a big black screen. Are they waiting to see just who was the props master for Pulp Fiction? Or perhaps who was the best boy for Wonder Boys? Maybe they were dying to know just who did the subtitles for Liberty Heights? I honestly can't figure it out. Are americans just unappreciative of those who work behind the scenes? My experience in acting and theater would lean towards yes, having seen few actors thank and appreciate the backstage crew and everyone who works behind the curtain to make a show happen. Those credits are there for a reason, to show the appreciation deserved of the people who work day in and day out and got no publicity or awards for what they do. So perhaps I will take a hint from the french and start staying through the credits. I'm rarely in a rush to get anywhere, maybe it's time I figured out just who catered the people I have been watching for the last two hours.
Conclusion de jour: stick around and see who makes the magic happen.

No comments: